- Created on Wednesday, 20 May 2009 15:28
Contact: Collette DuValle, 317-373-2391
Health Department Offering Free Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Information to RV-Owning Race Fans
The Marion County Health Department, in cooperation with Indianapolis Motor Speedway, will be making information on carbon monoxide poisoning available to recreational vehicle owners coming to this weekend's Indianapolis 500.
The printed information is being handed out as an educational outreach effort after a recreational vehicle parked near the race track in May of last year filled with carbon monoxide, killing one person and hospitalizing three others.
The health department created the 10,000 informational fliers and provided the documents to racetrack officials for posting in areas they operate that host recreational vehicles. Smaller RV lot owners can contact the health department to get copies of the flier.
"Carbon monoxide gas is invisible, odorless and deadly. It is produced by the partial combustion of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels. This includes gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, wood and coal," said Dr. Virginia A. Caine, director, Marion County Health Department. "It is extremely serious when combustion by-products are not vented outside," said Dr. Caine.
Hundreds of people die each year from carbon monoxide produced by fuel burning appliances and thousands go to emergency rooms for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The health department initiated this effort at the 2008 Allstate 400 at the Brickyard and is providing the educational fliers at no charge.