- Created on Wednesday, 20 July 2011 15:06
Contact: Collette DuValle, 317-221-2463
Health Officials Offer Cool Food Choices for Heat Wave
In the midst of this heat wave, Indianapolis residents are doing everything they can to stay cool. Heating up the house to cook a meal is the last thing most individuals want to consider.
The Marion County Public Health Department Nutrition Services staff has several suggestions to help combat the heat and still ensure nutrition and hydration remain part of our daily eating. Above all else, drinking plenty of water is important to stay hydrated. Avoiding alcohol and drinks with caffeine is also advised.
Food suggestions include:
- Tuna, egg, chicken or pasta salads
- Cold soups and gazpachos
- Cheese plate with fruit and crackers
- Sandwiches and wraps
- Frozen grapes
- Frozen yogurt
- Popsicles made with crushed fruit and juice
- Rotisserie chicken (already cooked)
- Smoothies with yogurt, juice and frozen fruit
- Bean dips
- Use a slow cooker that won't heat up the kitchen like the oven or stove will
The health department also suggests foods like watermelon, cucumbers, cantaloupe, squashes, apples and oranges that have a high water content. Also, eating small meals more frequently may be an alternative.