Recommendations for Attending Large Events
- Published on Tuesday, 03 March 2020 15:29
For Immediate Release
March 3, 2020
Indianapolis – During the next few months, Indianapolis will host many large community gatherings, including sporting events, conventions, and concerts, at venues across the city. The Marion County Public Health Department has no concerns at the present time about the public attending large events. The health department is sharing everyday preventive actions the public should take to help reduce any potential spread of the new coronavirus strain known as COVID-19.
While no confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Marion County or Indiana, it is important for everyone to take proactive steps in reducing the potential spread of the virus, which includes covering all coughs and sneezes. At this time, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports more than 100 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S., including nine deaths.
Out of an abundance of caution, Marion County Public Health Department Director Virginia A. Caine, M.D. is asking that anyone who is ill or who has acute respiratory symptoms such as a fever, cough, and shortness of breath stay home and not attend public events.
Other recommendations for people who attend upcoming events include:
- Thoroughly wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use a hand sanitizer with at least 60-95 percent alcohol if soap and water aren’t available.
- Use proper hand hygiene after touching surfaces and objects that are used and shared often.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover all coughs and sneezes.
- Refrain from shaking hands, high-fives, and other close personal contact.
“Everyday prevention habits are simple ways that people and communities can help slow the spread of respiratory illnesses like COVID-19 and flu,” said Caine. “We want to help prevent the spread of illness while also supporting these important events.”
Answers to frequently asked questions about COVID-19 are available at MarionHealth.org . Updated information is also available from the Indiana State Department of Health, https://www.in.gov/isdh/28470.htm , and at CDC.gov/COVID-19 .
# # #
Media/Public Information Coordinator
317-221-2316 (o) │ 317-525-7450 (c)